Friday, November 8, 2013

Aspen Trees

by M. V.
I was recently on a horse packing trip in Eastern Washington. The air was much dryer and the plants are different than those I am used to seeing on the Western side of the state. I saw lots of pine needles and noticed unfamiliar trees such as Pine and Tamarack as well as others.  I came across an Aspen grove and was astounded by its beauty. It looked like a fairy land. It sounded as if hail was falling in the middle of summer when its leaves shook from the wind. I caught myself thinking about these trees after that trip and began to wonder what people use Aspen trees for.
             My first thought was that people used Aspen wood to build furniture because of its beautiful color. I found in my research that people do use Aspen wood for furniture making along with many other uses. Aspen is mainly used for making matches, wood shavings for animals, furniture, inside sauna’s and it has many medicinal properties. People do not typically use Aspen wood to heat their homes because it doesn’t produce heat due to its slow burn.
            I was particularly interested in learning about Aspen trees’ medicinal uses. The first thing I noticed was that Aspen has a chemical known as salicin that makes Aspen’s medicinal use very close to that of aspirin. According to WebMD, salicin has anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties. Native American women commonly used Aspen leaves and bark for menstrual relief. Men can use Aspen for prostate problems. It is also used for nerve pain, fever reducing, joint problems, and bruising. Aspirin is used for inflammation and swelling. Aspen bark and leaves can produce the same effects. There are several references that Native Americans used the bark and leaves medicinally such as for eye washes and ear aches (medplant.nmsu.edu).

            Aspen has many more uses than just making beautiful furniture. When I think of my camping trip in the mountains, I now not only remember the beautiful Aspen groves I saw, but I now appreciate its uses that have been around for hundreds of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment